Construction Notes and Photos
Each of the images are links to larger views.  Click the image to open the larger photo.

How about a pair of Martin-Baker Mk. H-7 ejection seats.  These are the kit seats wearing Eduard PE (See Construction Note 2 Below).  The PE really enhanced the appearance of the seats.

I still need to position the straps so that they look more "Relaxed" but I can't do that until the seats are actually installed in the cockpit (and that is one of the last steps in the instructions).  I also want to do something to the straps to make them look more realistic, but I'm not sure what yet.  Luckily, since the seats go in last, I've got plenty of time to figure something out.

I also want to add the tube that connects the pilot's helmet / facemask to the aircraft communications and oxygen system.  It will be simple to do and add some realism to the seats.  Pictures of the real seat can be found At This Link

Each of the images are links to larger views.  Click the image to open the larger photo.

Progress photos only!  It is still a long way from being done but at least it looks like a Phantom now.  I have some PE frames to go around the lights on the sides, but I won't put them on until near the end or they will just get knocked off.

I still haven't managed to get the color saturation right with my camera and software.  The colors are nowhere near as bold as they appear in these photos and the finish is much flatter than it appears here.

If you have specific questions about the kit in general or any of the aftermarket parts I used on it, please feel free to send me An Email and I'll be glad to answer any questions that I can.
1 In general this is a pretty decent model kit.  I wasn't particularly pleased with the fit of the parts in some places; if the MSRP was in the $50 range it would be a good kit, but since it carries a MSRP of $162 Tamiya could have done a better job in places. 

2 The kit contains two pilot figures for use in the cockpit.  I can't paint figures well and I don't like figures in a parked aircraft, so I plan to leave them out.  The problem is that if the figures are left out all of the harnesses for the ejection seats are lost.  If you decide to leave the figures out, I suggest you look into Eduard's PE Set No. 32079  This set contains a LOT of PE for the ejection seats, and takes quite a bit of time and patience to install properly, however the increase in accuracy and appearance of the seats is well worth the effort.  Did I mention that it takes a lot of patience?  The assembly is straightforward, however many of the pieces are quite small and easy to lose.  If you have worked with PE before you know what I mean.

3 The intake trunks that go from the exterior engine intakes to the faces of the turbines are terrible.  They consist of two pieces that are very difficult to assemble without visible seams (although you would have to look into the intake to see the seams).  One review of this model mentioned that a company makes seamless resin intake trunks.  I don't recall who it is that makes them, but if I had it to do over again I'd splurge for them and save a lot of sanding and filling.

4 The decals are typical Tamiya.  They are very thick so make sure you have plenty of decal solution on hand.  The decals that go in some of the more complex areas, such as the shark's mouth, do fit properly and they are pretty opaque, but they are just so THICK!

5 The instructions for the painting and decaling of 67-392 are slightly wrong if you want it built with the markings it carried in Thailand.  The instructions do not show the shark's mouth being used and they also indicate that the top of the vertical stabilizer is painted (the "Fin Cap").  These may have been correct for the aircraft after it left Thailand in 1972 (the instructions indicate that the markings are for when the aircraft was stationed at Anderson AFB in 1973), however according to This Photograph Of 392 taken over Viet Nam in 1972 you can see that it does have the mouth and the fin cap is unpainted.